The FOCUS Fresh Start School is a private, state approved special education program offering children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD), and other related disorders, a quality education experience that addresses both their academic and clinical needs.
What we offer:
- Low student to staff ratio providing unique education to middle school and high school children (ages 10-21).
- Instruction by certified special education teachers and licensed clinicians in reading, writing, mathematics, science, social studies, physical education, health, and the arts
- Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy are provided as needed.
- Structured learning environment, where children are encouraged to express their feelings and emotions and where physiological and psychological needs can be met using evidence based practices.
- Development and implementation of Individual Educational Plans (IEPs)
Daily structured routines include:
- Common core curriculum-based instruction
- Integrative technology and assistive technology
- Individual and group clinical support.
- Social Thinking® curricula
- Mindfulness, using the Learning To Breathe curriculum
- Field trips and community-based experiences
The mission of The FOCUS Fresh Start School to help each child reach their full potential. Through the use of a structured social learning environment coupled with Naturalistic Interventions we are able to create a supportive learning community where children thrive.
The FOCUS Fresh Start School runs August through June, Monday through Friday from 8:15am – 2:45pm. An Extended School Year Summer Program is available if needed.
FOCUS Center for Autism
The Fresh Start School
126 Dowd Avenue ~ Canton, CT 06019